A few quick facts
- Reference checks are an important part of the selection process
- Checking references helps validate what we have learned about the candidate through the screening and interview process
- Reference checking is part of the legally-grounded hiring process
Be cautiously curious about these questions
- Do you have the candidate’s written permission to speak with someone else about their past?
- Have you asked the referee whether they expect what they tell you remains confidential?
- Have you documented these confidentiality expectations for future reference?
- In the reference conversation, are you staying on topic, asking only job-related questions?
Making sure we balance our curiousity about a candidate with appropriate caution about the formal process within which these reference conversations take place, ensures you can gather great information in a legally-sound manner.
Want more information about reference checks?